On Tuesday morning, a suicide attack was carried out by terrorists on Border Security Force (BSF) 182 Battalion Camp near International Airport in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir. It has been reported that at least 3 to 4 terrorists are being holed at the attack site. Following attack on BSF camp near Srinagar Airport, 2 flights have been cancelled and no employee or passenger or vehicle is being allowed to go towards the Airport.
Here are the latest updates and everything you need to know about the suicide attack:
1) The fidayeen attack (suicide attack) was carried out at around 4:30 AM, reports claimed that terrorists came on foot. The terrorist organization, Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) has claimed the responsibility of the attack.
2) Primary reports claimed that 3 BSF jawans were severely injured in the suicide attack. Retaliating to the heavy gunfire, BSF also gunned down 2 terrorists hiding in the area. Commenting on the attack, Deputy CM of Srinagar, Nirmal Singh said that two terrorists are being holed up in administrative building & JCO Mess. Operations are underway to nab them, also senior officers are monitoring the situation very closely.
3) Following the attack, the security forces cordoned off the neighbouring areas and are currently carrying out extensive search operations in Srinagar. Following the ruckus after the attack, the Kashmir Valley School, which is in vicinity of the area, will remain closed.
4) After the attack which took place on the BSF camp, situated near the International Airport in Srinagar, the airport, including the neighbouring area has been cordoned off and no employee or passenger or vehicle were being allowed to go towards the Airport. However, in order to avoid the increasing inconvenience, passengers are being let in at Srinagar Airport after thorough checking.
5) The decision of resuming the air traffic, which was halted after the attack, will be taken by Airports Authority of India (AAI) and concerned airlines after they get a green signal from the security forces.
6) Following the suicide attack carried near Srinagar Airport, airports in metro cities have been put on high alert. Reports claimed that the Intelligence Agencies had warned the authorities about a possible terror attack.
7) Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has called a high level meeting at 11.30 AM in the national capital to discuss unrest prevailing in the Jammu and Kashmir area. The suicide attack that took place on Tuesday is likely to top the discussion topics.
8) In a joint operation by troops of CRPF, 53 Rashtriya Rifles (RR), BSF and SOG Zonal have placed cordon around the building where terrorists were being holed up.
9) The attack came days after unidentified gunmen killed a BSF jawan at his residence in Bandipora district.
10) From past several weeks many ceasefire violations have been reported from the Pakistan side. According to sources, the military of the neighbouring country is said to be proving cover fire for the terrorists to infiltrate.