2015 in retrospection: The Timeline of J&K Terrorism
If we carefully go through the records available, the data regarding the cross border orchestrated violence in the last two years i.e. 2014 and 2015 is almost the same.
Here are the statistical highlights:
PAK DRIVEN TERROR ACTIVITIES: There were a total of about 186 incidents of violence in the state in which about 16 civilians, 38 security forces personnel and 91 militants were killed.
TERROR INFILTRATION: At least 60 militants managed to infiltrate into the state contrary to the claims of “zero infiltration” by the Army.
INTRUSION BIDS: There were 86 intrusion bids in 2015.
MILITANT TRAINING CAMPS: As per the information provided by General Officer Commanding of the 16 Corps Lt Gen RR Nimbhorkar, there were around 35 to 37 terrorist training camps being operated in PoK which trained more than 700 terrorists in 2015.
CROSS BORDER FIRING: A total of 677 cases of cross-border firing by Pakistan reported in the state between May 2014 to October 2015. During this period, three BSF jawans died and 19 were injured and the number of casualties of civilians were 27.
LOSS OF BRAVE COLONELS: The Army also lost two Colonels named and Colonel Santosh Mahadik this year in gunfights with militants. Colonel Rai laid down his life while combating militants in the Tral area of Pulwama district on January 28 while Colonel Mahadik was killed while fighting militants in Kupwara district on November 17.
KILLING OF ALTAF DAR: In a setback to police in Jammu and Kashmir, a sub-inspector Altaf Dar who played a key role in counter-insurgency operations was killed in a shootout on 7th of October while trying to nab a most wanted terrorist Abdul Qasim in Bandipore.
Here is the list of main terror attacks happened in 2015
- Nov 25: Militants stormed an Army base in Tangdhar close to the LoC in Kupwara, killing a civilian and injuring a soldier
- Aug 5: Two BSF personnel killed, eight others injured when two Pakistani terrorists attacked a BSF convoy near Narsu Nullah in Udhampur
- July 27: In Dinanagar attack, an SP, three Home Guard jawans and three civilians were killed by three LeT terrorists
- Mar 21: Two Lashkar militants tried to storm an Army camp in Samba town on the Jammu-Pathankot highway
- Mar 20: Two Lashkar militants struck the Rajbagh police station on the Jammu-Pathankot highway and killed two CRPF personnel and a policeman among five people.10 others were also injured