3 private telecom operators suspend their service after attacks
After the yesterday’s mishap in Kashmir’s Baramullah district where a 60 year old resident in whose house a mobile tower had been installed was killed, three private telecom operators in Kashmir have suspended their operations in Sopore town. Ghulam Hassan Dar of Sopore was shot dead by gunmen in his own house. Since Monday, this has been reportedly the second attack in the area, leaving two dead and two injured.
As per an official, three private mobile phone companies have temporarily suspended their services in the region after these attacks. The BSNL network, however, is functional as the towers are housed in a secure zone. A telecom company’s senior official said that we cannot risk the lives of our employees so we have suspended the operations for safety. He told sources, “The livelihood of around 1500 people is linked with this industry in North Kashmir. We will wait till some clarity is there.”
Ghulam Hassan Dar’s son told that three masked gunmen barged into the house when they were watching television and asked why the mobile tower has not been shut. They opened fire, in which Dar died, he added.
“Three days ago, the gunmen had come to warn us to shut the mobile tower,” he added. While the police is blaming militants for carrying out these acts, separatist and militant outfits have been condemning these attacks as well.
Image Courtesy: Arabian Business