65 students in Leh fall ill after consuming ‘rats’ and  ‘mosquitoes ‘contaminated food 

More than 65 students of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya (JNV), Choglamsar have been admitted to the hospital due to food poisoning on September 30.

The Leh police have registered a case of negligence and recklessness against the school management . Senior officials of the school have been detained for questioning.

ALSO READ: Jammu: Class 8th student gang-raped in Kunjwani

“We have registered an FIR against the school authorities who are being called for questioning,” said T Gyalpo, Senior Superintendent of Police, Leh.

He further added the police, along with medical experts, had lifted samples of food and sent it to forensic science laboratory for examination.

There are strong allegations  that the hostel mess is in pathetic condition where food is prepared in open areas with lots of mosquitoes and rats wandering around. Shockingly, the two cooks engaged by the management for the past 20 years were not medically examined during their entire services which otherwise is mandatory to do after  every 6 months.

One of the mess cooks, Nawang Thustop, admitted that school authorities never examined them medically during his 22 years of service and neither hospital department came to examine them.

Sources said 65 students of the JNV complained of abdomen pain and vomiting after they consumed food in their hostel canteen on September 30. They were immediately rushed to the hospital and provided medical treatment.

The condition of students is said to be stable and they are recovering at Sonam Norbu Memorial Hospital in Leh.

The MP directed the Deputy Commissioner, Prasanna Ramaswamy G, who is also the chairman of the JNV school managing committee, to initiate an inquiry into the incident and submit a report within seven days. The SSP Leh was directed to file an FIR immediately and register a criminal case against the school authorities.

 

Leave a Comment