Jammu and Kashmir
KATRA, Mar 24: Describing the highest bridge of the world, being constructed in Jammu and Kashmir, as fully safe and strong, Konkan Railway Corporation Limited Chief Managing Director Sanjay Gupta said today that the train service will not be affected even if a portion of it is blasted off.
The bridge is part of Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail Link project, which has been declared of national importance. Addressing a news conference here, Mr Gupta discussed some very key elements about the one of its kind bridge, such as:-
- Blast Proof: It can withstand 40 tonnes TNT of explosives. Blast load technique has been used in the design of bridge for the first time. The train service will not be affected even when a portion of the bridge is blasted off because it will have welded decks.
- Earthquake resistant: Can withstand earthquake measuring 8.5 intensity on the Richter scale.
- Wind resistance: Withstand a wind speed of 266 km/h.
- World’s highest rail bridge: Height of the bridge will be 359 meter from the river bed level.
- Size: Base of the arch is almost half of size of footfall ground.
- Attraction: Bridge will be painted in olive green colour to enhance the surrounding of the landscape.
- Security: There will be warning system on both sides of the bridge. In case of an emergency, the train will stop automatically.
Giving full guarantee of the security of the bridge, the top official said, “I am 110 per cent sure of its safety.
Mr Raju said the life of the paint will be 35 years. He said there will be warning system on both sides of the bridge. In case of an emergency, the train will stop automatically. Although the entire 326 kms long railway line from Jammu to Baramulla would be single line, it will be double for the bridge to fulfil future requirements.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu and senior officials of the Railway Ministry are monitoring the progress of construction through high powered CCTV cameras fitted on project site.