Attested copies of various documents are sought from persons for various purposes including the following:-
1. Seeking employment in Government Departments, Local Bodies, Panchayati Raj Institutions, Boards, Corporations and Public Sector Undertakings, etc.;
2. seeking admission in educational institutions in the State; and
3. seeking services/benefits under various State/Central Government schemes.
It has been observed that this process consumes a lot of time and energy of the persons concerned. Accordingly, a need was felt for simplification of the procedure for verification of documents/testimoniaIs submitted by the persons to various Government Departments, Local Bodies, Panchayati Raj Institutions, Boards, Corporations and Public Sector Undertakings, etc. After due consideration, the Government has decided to replace the existing system of seeking attestation of the documents by Gazetted Officers, with self-attestation of these documents by the person himself.
Accordingly, the following revised mechanism in relation to method of attestation of documents is hereby ordered in all cases except where attestation of specific authority is 1 required under any law or statutory rule in force or where proof of being a permanent resident of the State is to be furnished1produced:-
1. The applicants should submit self-attested copies of documents that are required to be attachedlappended to the original applications for seeking: a) Employment in Government Departments, Local Bodies, Panchayati Raj Institutions, Boards, Corporations and Public Sector Undertakings, etc.; b) admission in educational institutions in the State; and c) serviceslbenefits under various Statelcentral Government schemes.
2. The Education Department shall issue directions to all educational institutions located in the State for accepting self-attested copies of documents/testimoniaIs from the applicants and/or guardians of the students at the time of submission of applications for admission. Original documents shall be called from the finally admitted students only to carry out verification of the documents submitted by the candidates, with the application.
3. The Jammu & Kashrnir Public Service Commission, Jammu and Kashmir Service Selection Board and all other selection/recruiting agencies shall accept self-attested copies of documents from the candidates applying for selection/ recruitment. The original certificates/documents shall be called only at the time of finalizing the selection list to carry out the verification of the documents before the selection list is issued.
4. All other Government Departments, Local Bodies, Panchayati Raj Institutions, Boards, Corporations and Public Sector Undertakings etc. may seek the original certificates1 documents for verification at the time of finalizing the grant of serviceslbenefits to the person concerned.
5. Individuals furnishing wrong information or filing false or fabricated certificates or documents shall be liable to penal action as warranted under law. All public authorities while receiving the self-attested certificates/documents shall draw the attention of the individuals furnishing such certificates/documents towards the relevant provisions of the Jammu and Kashmir State Ranbir Penal Code, which for reference purposes, are reproduced in Annexure to this order.
By order of the Government of Jammu and Kashmir.