The temple was built under the reign of Maharaja Gulab Singh in 1896. The temple is situated at Panjtirthi and the place got its name from five sacred places built in the area. Billu Mandir is one among those five temples constructed in the Panjtirthi region. It is basically the temple of deities Krishna and Radha thus the festival of Krishan Janamastami is celebrated with great zeal and fervour.
There are few Naag Barmis (place of Naagdevta inside the earth) near the temple so the festival of Naag Panchmi is also celebrated with fun and Ramleela shows are also staged during the festivals.
The story behind temple’s name is that once there used to be a priest in the temple who had light coloured eyes so the kids living in the surrounding area used to come and funnily call him “Billu”, that is how the temple got its name as “BIllu temple”. The priest served the temple for almost 30-40 years.
According to one old legend, it is believed that during British rule whenever British army tried to reach up to this place, they used to lose their sight. Thus the people claim that this place has magical energies. People visit this temple as they believe their wishes would be granted thus they donate money and food.
One can reach to the temple using local transport.
The temple is opened for the devotees at 5:30 in the morning and closes at around 9:00 in the evening.
The Aarti ceremony is performed at 7:00 in the evening.
- India’s highest road bridge in Doda will be soon open to traffic
- Morning Wrap , Top Headlines of The day