Breaking : SC Stays FIR Against Major Aditya in Sophian Firing Case, Issues Notice to Centre And J&K Govt

  • Supreme Court stays FIR against Major Aditya in Sophian firing case and issues notice to the Centre and J&K govt, seeks reply in two weeks.

    The Supreme Court on Monday issued a stay on the FIR registered against Major Aditya by Jammu and Kashmir police in connection with the Shopian firing case. Restraining the Jammu and Kashmir police from taking any coercive step against Major Aditya, the apex court sent notices to the Centre and the state government and sought replies in two weeks.

    The court also ordered that no coercive action should be initiated against the Army personnel.

    Advocate Aishwarya Bhati, who filed the petition on behalf of Lieutenant Colonel Karamveer Singh, father of the Army personnel, told mediapersons, “The Supreme Court has issued a notice to the Centre and Jammu and Kashmir government while we have been asked to submit a copy of the petition to the office of Attorney General of India (AGI). The court has requested AGI to clarify the Centre’s stand on the case within two weeks. The state government has also been asked to issue a clarification within the given time period.”

    Bhati added, “On our request, the court has ordered that no coercive action should be taken against Major Aditya Kumar in pursuance of the FIR lodged against him. It is a positive and an encouraging day for us.”

    The Supreme Court was hearing the plea filed by Major Aditya Kumar’s father, seeking quashing of the FIR registered against his son in connection with the killing of three civilians in Jammu and Kashmir’s Shopian district. The state police filed an FIR under sections 302 (murder) and 307 (attempt to murder) of Indian Penal Code (IPC) against the Major and his Army unit of 10 Garhwal Rifles.

    On January 27, three civilians were killed after Army personnel fired at a stone-pelting mob of protesters in Shopian district of Jammu and Kashmir. Over 200 protestors pelted stones at the Army convoy following which the army personnel shot in the air in their self-defence.