Srinagar, August 12: The cellphone services were snapped again in the valley last night. This is the second time the cellphone connectivity has been barred in the last 35-day period. The mobile phone calling services had been disconnected earlier after massive protests erupted against the killing of popular militant commander Burhan Wani on July 08.
The cell phone calling services were snapped at 11:30 pm last night adding to the inconvenience of the consumers. The unrest in Kashmir has entered its 35th day today.
However, BSNL postpaid phones and landlines are working.
The decision to snap the connectivity comes even as the government has claimed a gradual improvement in the situation since protests first broke out over a month ago.
A official employed with a mobile phone operator on the condition of anonymity said that the service has been suspended keeping in view the Friday protests that have become routine after the Friday prayers.
Meanwhile, authorities on Friday imposed curfew and restrictions across Kashmir to prevent protests called by the separatists.
Police said restrictions and curfew will remain in force in all the 10 district headquarters of the Valley in addition to Handwara, Kupwara, Sopore, Trehgam and Qaimoh.
“These precautionary measures have been taken to maintain law and order in the Valley”, a senior police officer said here.
Separatists again issued a protest calendar on Thursday extending the protest shutdown till August 18.
Separatists have called for a complete shutdown till August 18, but asked people to resume normal activities from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. for some specified days.
All senior separatist leaders continue to remain under preventive detention in Srinagar for the last 35 days.
Internet facilities on all mobile phones have remained suspended.
So far, 56 people including 54 civilians and two policemen have been killed in the ongoing unrest that started on July 9, a day after Hizbul commander Burhan Wani was killed.