Zaira Wasim, who stole everyone’s heart with her acting skills in ‘Dangal,’ has got her hand on the big one.
The 16-year-old-actress, who hails from Kashmir has been awarded in the ‘Best Supporting Actor’ category, at the 64th National Film Awards.
To make this moment even more special, former Jammu & Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah congratulated the ‘Dangal’ fame on her monumental achievement.
He took to his Twitter and wrote, “Congratulations to Zaira Wasim who was named Best Supporting Actor for her role in #Dangal #NationalFilmAwards”
Zaira Wasim played the role of young Geeta Phogat in sports biopic ‘Dangal,’ starring Aamir Khan in the lead.
Inspired by the life of real-life wrestler Mahavir Singh Phogat, the flick earned a whopping Rs 370 crore+ in the domestic market.
The former CM also congratulated the ‘Neerja’ team for their win in the ‘Best Hindi Feature Film’ category.
“Congratulations @atulkasbekar well done to you & the #Neerja team,” he wrote.
On a related note, at the 64th National Awards, actor Akshay Kumar won the award for Best Actor for his movie ‘Rustom’.
Here are 8 facts about this girl from Kashmir:
1. Zaira Wasim was born on October 23, 2000, in Srinagar, the capital of Jammu and Kashmir.
2. Zaira Wasim did her schooling from St Paul’s International Academy under Jammu and Kashmir State Board of School Education.
3. Zaira Wasim’s father Zahid Wasim is an executive manager at Jammu and Kashmir Bank and her mother Zarqa Wasim is a teacher.
4. Zaira Wasim’s family was against her acting career, but was convinced by her school principal and her aunt to let her pursue it. Now, Zaira has starred in a few ads apart from the movie Dangal. She was seen in a commercial for Tata Sky and it was shot in Gulmarg in Kashmir. She was also seen in an ad for Nokia Lumia smartphone, which was shot in the hilly area of Almora in Uttarakhand.
5. Next, Zaira Wasim is busy shooting for Secret Superstar, which will release on August 4, 2017. In the movie, Zaira will be playing a singer. The film has a cameo by Aamir Khan.
6. Zaira Wasim was chosen from among 19,000 girls for the role of the young wrestler Geeta Phogat in Dangal.
7. Zaira Wasim loves playing the guitar. Hope we see her playing sometime!
8. Zaira has limited friends and, like Alia Bhatt, is more attached to her pet cat.
Zaira Wasim was hugely appreciated for her performance as the younger version of champion wrestler Geeta Phogat. She held her own against the older performers and bigwigs like Aamir Khan, Sakshi Tanwar, Fatima Sana Shaikh, Sanya Malhotra and Aparshakti Khurrana. Congratulations to her on her well-deserved National Film Award as Best Supporting Actress for Dangal.