Dental College Student who burned flag has gone into hiding


Jammu and Kashmir

JAMMU, Apr 3: A 4th year student of the state government-run Indira Gandhi Dental College, who allegedly burnt the Tricolour after India lost the World T20 semi-final to West Indies, remains untraced even after two days of the incident.

The incident had evoked strong reaction from students, para-medical staff and social and political organisations. Though Pacca Danga police had registered a case against the accused, he was yet to be arrested, police sources said.

Inzmamul Haq of Rajouri, alleged to be nephew of ex-Congress minister Shabir Khan who had to quit the ministry following allegations of molestation of a medico, had also assaulted Viswajeet, a student, when he tried to stop him from burning the flag.


As the incident sparked off protests, the college witnessed a disruption in services with demonstrators demanding immediate arrest of the accused under relevant sections of law.

College Principal, Dr Ramesh Singh said after the rustication of Inzmamul from the hostel, the college and hospital services were today restored fully. “We have also lodged a report with police against the accused,” he informed.

He said a probe had been initiated to look into the matter. As it was suspected that he might have fled to Rajouri, a police team was likely to be despatched there to trace him out, sources said.

The college hostlers said they, along with the staff, were watching the match on a screen set up in the college auditorium on Thursdayevening when Inzmamul was irked over a girl student waving the Tricolour every time Indian players hit a boundry or took a wicket. When India lost the match, he snatched the National Flag from her and burnt it later, they alleged.

The students had sought special permission to watch cricket match inside the college auditorium on big screen and the permission was granted by the college authorities after senior staff members also agreed to remain present to enjoy the cricket match.