Retired IPS officer and National Secretary of BJP Farooq Khan was appointed the Administrator of Lakshadweep on Wednesday.
Here are some interesting facts that every person from J&K should know about him.
- He was born into a Dogri speaking family and was the first Muslim from Jammu and Kashmir to get a prominent place in the BJP within 15 months of his joining the party.
2. Khan, a 1994 batch IPS officer, rose to prominence in the mid 1990s when he became the head of the anti-militancy Task Force popularly known as Special Operations Group .
3. He led the operation of clearing of the Hazratbal Shrine in March 1996 in which 18 militants were killed.
6. It was under Khan that Raghunath Temple, Jammu was freed from militants in 2003.
7. He retired in 2013 as head of the Sher-e-Kashmir Police Academy Udhampur in the rank of Inspector General of Police and joined BJP before Indian general election, 2014 during a BJP political rally at Hiranagar in March 2014.