‘God has saved me for a purpose’: Kashmiri Jawan hit by 8 bullets

Astha story photo in New Delhi on Monday Aug 29,2016.Photo by Ramesh Sharma/Mail Today

Khursheed Ahmad always wanted to dedicate his life to the well being of his country, and he has done so.

Lying on a bed at AIIMS trauma centre, 41-year-old Ahmad is struggling to recover from his wounds, which have left him physically weak but have not dimmed his mental strength.

Ahmad was hit by eight bullets during a terrorist attack, one of which still remains in his body. He is among a few CRPF jawans who were injured in open firing at Pampore in Kashmir.

On June 25, when Ahmad was returning after shooting practices in Lethpura along with other CRPF jawans, four militants opened fire on them. Eight jawans died and 22 were injured in this attack.

Astha story photo in New Delhi on Monday Aug 29,2016.Photo by Ramesh Sharma/Mail Today
Astha story photo in New Delhi on Monday Aug 29,2016.Photo by Ramesh Sharma/Mail Today

“Seven bullets have been taken out from my body but one bullet is still inside. Doctors say it is at a place where no MRI can be done, so it is extremely difficult to take that out. I have no sensation in my lower body because of that,” said Ahmad, who came out of the ICU a week back.

Out of the eight bullets, four of them hit him in the back.

Experts say that the injuries are like squares with dimensions of 6cm by 6cm. The Jawan was recovering in the ICU for almost two months.

“His lower spine has sustained major injuries because of which the lower part of his body has lost movement. There are high chances that he might face permanent disability,” said a senior doctor from the hospital.

The bullets hit Ahmad in the chest, shoulder, right arm, lower back, and in the intestine. He was admitted to the trauma centre on June 28, and since then he has been in the ICU. After two months there, he has finally been transferred to the ward.

“Doctors are suggesting that nothing can be done immediately to the bullet that is still inside his body. The injury on his back is quite serious and it needs to be healed first. He has not been able to feel his lower body,” his elder brother Mohd Rafiz told Mail Today.

Rafiz is a retired Armyman from Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry (12th battalion).

The attack on the CRPF jawans was considered one of the deadliest of the last few years. It was the second attack on a bus carrying security personnel in the last couple of months. On June 3, terrorists had opened fired at a bus carrying BSF personnel in Bijbehara, killing two of them.

On June 4, terrorists had gunned down three policemen at the general bus stand.

Two of the CRPF jawans were brought to the trauma centre after the attack. One of them, hailing from Bihar, has recovered from the injuries and has been discharged.

“We are worried about him. There is no option left with us. I see him in pain every day and sadly, I can do nothing about it. Even after the injury, he is ready to fight for the country. He has still not lost the zeal,” said Rafiz, who has been with his brother for the last two months.

Ahmad has been serving the nation for the past 23 years as a member of security personnel. Hailing from a small village in Kupwara district in Kashmir, he has one daughter and a son.

“I may be injured right now, but I still want to go back and fight for my nation. Those militants tried to kill me but somehow I survived. God has saved me for a purpose, and I will make sure that I dedicate the rest of my life for the people of my country,” said Ahmad.

This post has been sourced from Daily Mail

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.