Handwara girl facing hate from her schoolmates

Jammu and Kashmir

Srinagar, April 21: After the schools reopened yesterday, the girls is now facing left out from her circle of friends, due to her recorded statement in which she targeted two Handwara boys instead of army. Her classmates are avoiding any sort of hospitality towards her.

At the Government Girls Higher Secondary School in Handwara, only 20 students out of the 1,150 were present on the first day. The teachers too are worried about her future and the principal has assured that she will be given all the help needed to return to her normal life of a teen, but her classmates are not so sure.

One of her classmates who did not want to be named said that he does not think the girl will come to school ever.

Meanwhile, The J&K Police yesterday proved wrong all the allegations of the mother of a Handwara minor girl that her daughter was kept under illegal custody.

A police report submitted to the J&K High Court said the girl was molested by two local boys and not by the Army man on April 12 afternoon.

The Inspector General of Police, Kashmir mentioned in the report that, on 12 April, a girl approached the Police Station saying that she was molested, dragged and slapped by two local boys while she was coming out of a public lavatory at Main Chowk, Handwara.

The girl had stated that it was the the boys who said “kya Kashmiri ladke mar gaye hai” (have Kashmiri boys died).

One of the boys has been arrested and identified as Hilal Ahmad Banday of Handwara and the other was is still unknown.

According to the report, a case with Fir No. 130/2016 under Sections 509 (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman), 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) and 341 of the RPC (illegal confinement) has been registered.

Adding, this incident provoked the locals against the Army personnel and situation took an ugly turn and a violent mob gathered at Main Chowk to protest and later to tackle the situation army personnel resorted in firing, resulting in death of two persons.