Its Mukesh Ambani’s 61 birthday today, being the richest man in India is one reason for him to celebrate. Mukesh Ambani is one of the most powerful businessmen, not just in India but also the world.
According to Forbes, Ambani’s net worth rests at 40.1 billion dollars as in March 2018, putting him safely at number one on the “wealthiest people in the country”. He is currently the CEO and chairman of Reliance Industries Limited which is India’s largest listed firm. It has interests spanning refining, petrochemicals, oil and gas exploration, textiles and retail.
Born in Aden and raised in Mumbai, Mukesh Ambani joined the company in 1981 and turned it into a profit-minting firm. As of 2018, Ambani has consistently held the title of India’s richest person on the magazine’s list for ten years.
Ten most incredible facts about India’s richest man you probably did not know:
- Mukesh Ambani is a teetotaler and has never tasted the alcohol in his life. He is also a pure vegetarian.
- Through Reliance, he also owns the Indian Premier League franchise Mumbai Indians. In 2012, Forbes named him one of the richest sports owners in the world.
- His house Antila is in the world’s most expensive house which is estimated about 1Billion dollars, after Buckingham Palace, which is designated as a crown property.
- He is the only businessman in India with Z-category security that costs him 15lakh a month.
- Several telecom companies had to make investments worth billions to stay relevant in the market after the Jio launch, and those who couldn’t keep up the pace were wiped out of the industry. Jio had reached 16 million subscribers within one month of the launch.
- His company contributes almost 5% of the total tax revenue of India. In 2017, the company had assets of 110 billion USD.
- Adi Godrej, Anand Jain, and Anand Mahindra have been Mukesh’s schoolmates and are also his best buddies
- Mukesh Ambani has a world’s largest refinery “Jamnagar refinery”, Gujarat, in 2008, nearly doubling the facility’s capacity to more than 1.2 million barrels per day.
- Mukesh Ambani not only lives in the most expensive house but also travels inexpensive cars. Ambani travels in his BMW760Li, which is India’s most expensive car and there are a number of things that make this armored vehicle so costly at Rs 8.5 crore. He also owns a custom-built car-bus/vanity van which is priced around 25 crore Indian Rupees.
- Ambani, the richest Indian, has kept salary, perquisites and allowances and commission at Rs 15 crore since 2008-09, forgoing almost Rs 24 crore per annum