Have you ever noticed that number 108 holds a significant place in Hinduism?
Why there are 108 beads in vara/jaap mala?
Why are we supposed to chant a mantra for 108 times?
- The diameter of sun is about 108 times the diameter of the earth.
- The distance of Moon from the Earth is about 108 times the diameter of the Moon.
- In Indian astrology, we have 9 planets and 12 houses and 12*9=108
- “The Natya Shastra” written by famous saint Bharata has 108 karanas ( movement of limbs)
- There are around 54 letters in Sanskrit each for Shiva and Shakti estimated to 108
- It has been calculated that a person breathes 21,600 times in a day out of which 10,800 are solar energy while the rest is lunar(moon) energy.
- There are 108 Puranas and 108 Upanishads.
- Harshad number in Sanskrit means “joy” and it is 108 .
- Even in Ayurveda there are about 108 “Marma points” which are considered crucial for giving life.
- It is believed that if one person is able to have only 108 breaths a day through meditation, enlightenment will come .
- It is also assumed that we have 108 types of feelings out of which 36 are supposed to be related to the past, 36 are related to present and 36 are related to future.
- Even river Ganga holds an evidence of number 8 being sacred in Hinduism. The river Ganga spans a longitude of about 12 degrees and latitude of 9 degrees thus 12*9=108.
- The metal Silver is assumed to represent Moon and its atomic weight is 108.
- It is also believed that there are 108 styles of doing Meditation and also 108 paths to God.
- It is said that there were 108 gopis of Lord Krishna.
- There are 108 virtues of laudable souls.
- And on the numerical scale, if we add up 108 ,it comes out to be equal to 9 which is again a number present on numerical scale.
- The energy lines converging to form the heart chakra are also 108
ALSO READ: Why Do Hindu Women Wear Bangles?
Thus, number 108 signifies holiness , spirituality and perfection.
You May Also Like: Little dot on the forehead- “Bindi”