Jammu, 26 April: Good news for the population of the state, now they will get to play in the international level sports stadium. According to the Sports Ministry, by the month of September the ongoing work in the Maulana Azad Stadium of Jammu will be finished and in November the Indoor Sports Complex will finally be ready to use.
Here are some features you may like to know
- The stadium campus is spread across a massive 9 Kanals
- An amount of about 11 Crores is spent on its reconstruction.
- This project was passed by the Centre Government in the year 2013.
- The then Central Government gave about 6 crores for this project, while the rest is being handled by the State Sports Council.
- The stadium is going to be a Multi-purpose Sports Complex,
- Three Basketball matches, Handball, Wrestling, and Gymnastic events can be played simultaneously in the complex.
- The arena has been constructed keeping in mind the possibilities of hosting events such as Fencing, Taekwondo, Squash Court, Gymnastics, Wrestling, Badminton, Basketball, Weight Lifting and Body Building.
- The complex has the capacity of 3000 spectators.
- As many as 6 National-level sport events can be played at the same time.
- It also includes a Conference Hall and four quarters for the Trainers.
- There are about 16 well equipped rooms for those players who come from outside the state and Dormitories that could contain 200 players along with bathrooms in excellent conditions.
Ex-Sports Minister of the state, Taj Mohiuddin set the Foundation stone for the complex on 9th April, 2013, and had promised that by June 2014 the complex would be ready. The badminton court in the complex initially was not of the appropriate height and thus, it took them about a year to bring it to the desired level. The Badminton Association wanted a height of 12 meters while the engineers had made 9 meters in the first place.
Upon resolving the issue the, PDP-BJP Coalition Government has given a green signal to the stadium authorities and the present Sports Minister, Imran Raza Ansari has assured that by September this year, the complex would be available to the sports faculty for use. He even affirmed that if the work is not completed in the set period, then strict action would be taken against the Construction Agency.