J&K Finance Minister, Dr. Haseeb Drabu, yesterday presnted a Rs 64,669 crore budget announcing a slew of measures for the women folk of state. In the first-ever budget presented under Mehbooba Mufti govt. the focus was women empowerment, including measures such as waiver of school fees for girl students up to the higher secondary level, subsidy of 50 per cent on the purchase of two-wheelers among other perks.
Here is a list of things Budget 2016-17 does for women:
- Government to waive off the fee of all girl students in all the state government run educational institutions upto the higher secondary level.
- Setting up of four more women police stations in Pulwama, Kupwara, Kathua and Udhampur
- Rs 5 crores for a dedicated city bus service for women in Srinagar and Jammu city.
- Exclusive women toilets in all the state, district and sub district hospitals.
Two Entrepreneur Development Centres, to be set up at Srinagar and Jammu to help, guide, and train aspiring women entrepreneurs.
- 10 per cent of land in industrial estates shall be reserved for women entrepreneurs subject to the condition that if it is transferred it shall be to an enterprise which is incorporated in the name of a woman and has women as the majority shareholders as directors.
- Fire, multiple explosions in India’s biggest Central ammunition depot; 17 dead
- Budget 2016-17: Here is what’s cheaper and what’s costlier