The JKPCC Relief Sub Committee comprising of Gulchain Singh Charak, Former Minister & Former Member CWC, Sh. Janak Raj Gupta, Former Member of Parliament, Sh. Mula Ram, Former Minister, Smt. Kanta Bhan, General Secretary PCC (J&K) and Miss Tamanna, Sewa Dal Mahila Chief, PCC constituted by Jammu & Kashmir Pradesh Congress Committee conducted the tour of floods affected areas of Jammu district including the villages of Panchayat Hamirpur, Panchayat Sajwal falling in the area of Pargwal island and Panchayat Akalpur in Tawi island, especially, the people of Doulat Chak, Ram Bagh, Nudwal, Lalyal, Khundwal, Surya Chak, Kothey Subash, Mangu Chak etc. who are living in the school building at Surya Chak and other adjoining areas and also interacted with the people especially the Sarpanches, Panches, Numberdars, Chowkidars, Member of Local Relief Committee and other prominent persons of the areas and found that they have almost lost their whole crops and livestock due to devastating floods in Chenab and Tawi Rivers, almost all roads, culverts, bridges have been damaged or totally washed away.
Keeping into view the miserable condition of the affected people, the JKPCC has recommended the following measures be taken to mitigate the sufferings of these people at the earliest: –
1) To construct the washed away portion of the Bandh on Chenab River from “Nursery to Hamirpur” and repair the damaged Canals and Distributaries.
2) It is urged also upon the government to immediately take necessary measure to provide the relief to the people whose land/crops have been washed away and compensation for the losses occurred be given.
3) More than 500 families who have lost their houses and their properties and were living in the tented accommodation provided by the Army and which now the same stand withdrawn, proper arrangements be made for them by providing tents and other relief material.
4) The schools where the people are staying temporarily have become totally non-functional the concerned authorities are requested to make proper arrangements so that studies of students are not hampered.
5) The Committee also visited the residence of deceased Pradeep Kumar son of Sh. Natha Ram resident of Misriwala and other deceased person Rameshwar Dutt of Nagrota who also became the victim of floods in Srinagar. Keeping into view the miserable condition of the families, the committee demanded that ex-gratia relief at par with the other such cases of Srinagar be given to them at the earliest and their next of kins be adjusted in some government job.