Kud Firing: Govt. justifies killing of Bemina man
Jammu and Kashmir Government on Tuesday said that Police station Kud had received “information of movement of suspects” on Monday evening.
“The CRPF and JKP started searching vehicles at Karnal, Nallah Kud and an SRTC bus bearing registration number JK02y:0444 was stopped,” Minister Gh Nabi Lone Hanjura told the Lower House.
PDP’s Batamaloo Lawmaker, Sheikh Noor Mohammad and Opposition members had sought clarification from government on Kud operation in which a man from Bemina and a lady was killed.
Police had said that the slain Bemina man was a suspected militant.
Bemina is a part of Batamaloo constituency. And today, the area is observing shutdown and stone pelting incidents erupted in the area, NC’s Khanyar lawmaker, A M Sagar told the house.
“When passengers were asked to get down from bus for search, one person started firing on forces personnel,” Hanjura said. “It resulted in bullet injuries to three persons.”
He identified the injured as Mamta Devi (45); Ruby (32) from Jammu, and Balbir Singh from Punjab.
The Minister said that Mamta Devi succumbed to her injuries while Ruby has been shifted to Military hospital Udhampur while Balbir Singh is admitted in Udhampur hospital.
“After the person fired upon CRPF/JKP cops, the forces personnel retaliated which resulted in his death,” the minister said.
He identified the slain man as Tanveer Sultan, s/o Sheikh Mohammad Sultan.
“An AK 47, pistol, and other ammunition was recovered from the slain militant,” the minister said.
He said that an FIR number 53/206 stand registered in PS Kud and investigations have been taken up under “Unlawful activities” act.
After government statement on Kud operation, right wing lawmakers from BJP stood up and told the house, “rise in militant attacks was a serious issue.”
“We demand relief to the deceased civilian and monetary help to injured,” BJP’s Ravinder Raina said.
Speaking during on this issue, Langate lawmaker, Er Sheikh Ab Rasheed asked Speaker when will the government table report of Handwara civilian killings.
Notable to mention here, deputy speaker, Nazir Ahmad Gurezi on Monday had directed government to present the report in house today.
The opposition members had been demanding report on Handwara killings since day one of current 2016-17 budget session. The PDP-BJP combine had sought two days on May 26, 2016. However, it is yet to present the report.
“Government Appropriate time par jawab day gi,” Speaker Kavinder Gupta informed the house. But the answer from the chair angered Rasheed and other opposition lawmakers asking government to clear, “what this appropriate time was?”