Man killed, 2 dozen injured in Pulwama; investigations ordered

A 30-year-old lecturer was allegedly beaten to death while at least two dozen people including Sarpanch were thrashed at Khrew in Pulwama district of South Kashmir and police today foiled a march to the United Nations Military Observers Group in Indian and Pakistan Office in Srinagar by imposing strict curfew.
Reports said that Shabir Ahmad Mangoo, was killed after he was picked up allegedly by army along with several other persons last night from the village. The army raided several houses in the village last night and beat them up. Shabir was declared brought dead by the doctors in Pampore hospital.
Several among the injured persons have been admitted in SMHS hospital here with visible torture marks on their bodies.
Protests broke out in Khrew and adjacent areas in the morning with people demanding stern action against the army personnel involved in the incident.
A police officer said that a case FIR 156/2016 under section 302 has been registered in police Station Pulwama and investigation taken up.
Reports said that army was irked by the continuous protests in the area for last 40 days and they swooped on the village last night to end the cycle of protests.
Army has ordered investigations into the killing and torture of the people of the village.
According to a statement issued by the Zonal Police Headquarters Kashmir, during the intervening night of August 17 and 18 after stone pelting, a clash took place between Army and some locals of village Sharashali, Khrew resulting in death of one person Shabir Ahmed Monga son of Wali Mohammed and injuries to four others.
The statement said that the police has taken cognizance of the matter and investigation has been taken up.
Last night a violent mob pleted stones at the house of MLA Shopian Mohammad Yusuf and set ablaze police guard room and a mortarcycle.
Police said that a violent mob assembled and attacked the house of MLA Shopian last night. “The mob set ablaze the belongings including a motorcycle of the guard personnel posted for protection of the house. The guard personnel exercised maximum restraint, it said.
Police said that restrictions under section 144/CrPC remained in force in Kashmir today. However, curfew was imposed in Srinagar, Anantnag town and Pampore.
Police said that stone pelting incidents were reported from Papchan area of Bandipora, Batergam of Kupwara and Ilyaspora of Shopian where the youth assembled on roads and pelted stones on the deployments.
A protester, Mohammad Ashraf, was injured when he was hit with a bullet in his leg after security forces fired at protesters in Batargam area of North Kashmir’s Kupwara district today. Several other protesters were injured in the firing.
Reports of protests were also received from Harmain Shopian, Sheerhamdan Mattan, Rajpora Pulwama and Magam Budgam. At Magam, they said, police restored to teargas shelling and a few protesters received minor injuries.
Paramilitary CRPF and police personnel were deployed in Srinagar and other major towns in Kashmir today to thwart protests by people and separatist march to UNMOGIP office at Sonawar here. The march was called by the separatists against the fresh civilian killings in this week in the Valley.
Concertina wires were laid on the roads leading to the UNMOGIP office by the security forces on all major roads to block movement of civilians and traffic.
Mobile phone and internet services continue to be blocked, while only BSNL postpaid and broadband service working in the Valley where strict curfew and restrictions continued for 41st day.
The train services between Banihal and Baramulla remained disrupted for 41st day today and major roads remained shut due to blockades by protesters. Major district roads also remained shut due to blockades erected by protesters.
Sixty seven people including two cops were killed in the protests during last 41 days and over 7000 people including security men have been injured.
And in the meantime, the separatists have issued a fresh protest calendar till Thursday.
Meanwhile, Ambulance driver of health department was hit by pellets fire by the CRPF in Srinagar’s Safakadal area tonight when he was ferrying patients from Kangan area of Ganderbal district of SMHS hospital in Srinagar.
The driver Ghulam Mohammad Sofi was been removed to the SMHS Hospital from where he was referred to SKIMS Soura for specialized treatment. The CRPF was dealing with a law and order problem in the area and fired pellets at protesters when the driver was also caught in it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *