Three killed, two injured in Kashmir attacks


Srinagar: A soldier and a man were killed in two separate terror attacks in Kashmir on Monday. A guerrilla was also killed in a fierce gun battle with the security forces.

The first attack took place on a shop that sold BSNL SIM cards in north Kashmir’s Sopore town, and hours later, rebels opened fire at a Rashtriya Rifles patrol in Kulgam district.

The morning shooting in Sopore town, about 50 km south of Srinagar, left three people critically injured.

Muhammad Rafiq Bhat, a resident of Sogipora in Kupwara, later died from his injuries at a hospital, a senior police officer told Media Sources here.

“The two injured are being treated at a Srinagar hospital, where doctors said their condition is critical,” the officer said.

Just hours later, a Rashtriya Rifles patrol was ambushed by guerrillas in Kanjikulla Kokergund (Yaripora) area of Kulgam district.

Soldier Dharam Ram of the Rashtriya Rifles was critically injured in the attack, and died later at a hospital, a police officer said.

The security forces were quick to retaliate and surrounded the attackers, triggering a gun battle.

In the fierce exchange that erupted as security forces pinned down the militants, a separatist guerrilla was killed, police said.

In early April, three policemen were gunned down and a policeman and a former militant were left critically injured in three terror attacks in Kashmir.


Militants attack telecommunication Counter in Sopore, 1 killed 2 injured

1:30 pm: One person died while two others were injured after unidentified gunmen opened fire at a BSNL outlet in Sopore on Monday.Later one employee Mohammad Rafiq Bhat (26) succumbed to his injuries at Srinagar Hospital.

The other two injured persons are identified as Ghulam Mohammad Bhat and Gasha. Earlier, militants issued threats to all cellular companies to wind up their operations and to close down mobile towers.

Sopore, May 25: Militants attacked a private telecommunication office in Sopore on Mondayinjuring three employees who have been immediately hospitalized, reports said.

The incident took place near the general bus stand of the northern apple town in district Baramullah and the attackers fled the scene.

Reports reveal that militants started firing on Iqra telecommunication, which works as a franchisee of BSNL, resulting in panic as everybody ran for life.

When firing stopped three employees were seen in a pool of blood that has been rushed to hospital.

Sources identified the injured persons as Ghulam Mohammad Bhat, Imtiyaz Ahmad and Gasha, all locals.

Reports said that forces have cordoned off the area and a search operation has been started to nab the attackers.

According to local sources, militants have been asking telecommunication authorities to wind up their services in Sopore, since at least one month after some of their (militant’s) equipments went missing from one of the telecommunication towers.

You might also like