Rajnath Singh to take Final Call on Ceasefire continuation in J&K today at crucial meeting

A final decision on the commencement of counter-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir is likely to be taken by the Centre during a security meeting held at the ministry of home affairs (MHA) on Thursday, senior government officials said.

Official sources said Union home minister Rajnath Singh is likely to take the final call on Thursday after consultations with senior officials from the security grid and other functionaries of the MHA. Director general of Jammu and Kashmir police, SP Vaid, has also been asked to report to New Delhi on Thursday, they added.

Among other issues, officials will also deliberate on the Non-Initiation of Combat Operations (NICO), announced by the Centre last month in view of the month of Ramzan, should be extended during the Amarnath Yatra, supposed to commence on June 28.

Senior officials of the MHA, J&K police and paramilitary forces, while speaking to HT, said that NICO had “yielded positive results” for the Valley. However, there are differing opinions within the security apparatus when it comes to the extension. Last year, a militant attack on yatris resulted in eight deaths.

“The home minister, during his visit to Kashmir last week, took feed back from paramilitary forces, J&K police and the Northern command…”

HT