Jammu has developed its cuisine over time and offers delicious Dongri food. The food here has been influenced from both north and south of India. Jammu is not only famous as a tourist destination but is also popular for its exotic food.
Today we bring something special for all the non-veg lovers, Katta Meat aka Kashmiri Mutton, which is absolutely a must try.
Recipe: Kashmiri Mutton aka Khatta Meat
Khatta meat as the name suggest is a mutton recipe that is sour in taste. This mutton dish recipe is very different than that you might have ever tried. The spice used in it and its sour taste gives it a unique characteristic.
· 500 gms mutton
· 2 tbsp mustard oil
· 3-4 onions (fine chopped)
· 2 tsp cumin seeds (Jeera)
· 3 clove pieces
· 2 black cardamom (Badi elaichi)
· 1 ½ cinnamon stick
· 3 tsp garlic (minced)
· 3 tsp ginger (minced)
· 1 ½ tsp Fenugreek powder (Kasuri methi)
· 1 tsp turmeric powder
· 1 ½ tsp Kashmiri masala
· 2 dried red chillies
· 3 green chillies (without seeds)
· 3 tsp mango powder (Amchur powder)
· 2 tsp fennel powder (Saunf powder)
· 2tbsp coriander (chopped)
· Salt as per taste
· 2 charcoal pieces
· Take a non-stick kadhai and add mustard oil. Heat the oil for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
· Add cumin seeds, black cardamom, cinnamon stick and cook it till your smell the aroma of spices.
· Add chopped onions and cook it for 5-6 minutes till the colour changes to the shade of pink on low flame.
· Add ginger and garlic and cook it for another 3 minutes till it turns into the brown shade.
· Add fenugreek powder, turmeric powder, dried red chillies and salt and mix it all. Add a cup of water and stir it.
· Let the ingredients simmer for 3 minutes on low flame.
· Add the mutton pieces and sauté it in the spices for 8-10 minutes. Make sure that the mutton is fully coated in the masala.