Jammu has developed its cuisine over time and offers delicious Dongri food. The food here has been influenced from both north and south of India. Jammu is not only famous as a tourist destination but is also popular for its exotic food.
Today we bring something special for all the non-veg lovers, Katta Meat aka Kashmiri Mutton, which is absolutely a must try.
Recipe: Kashmiri Mutton aka Khatta Meat
Khatta meat as the name suggest is a mutton recipe that is sour in taste. This mutton dish recipe is very different than that you might have ever tried. The spice used in it and its sour taste gives it a unique characteristic.
· 500 gms mutton
· 2 tbsp mustard oil
· 3-4 onions (fine chopped)
· 2 tsp cumin seeds (Jeera)
· 3 clove pieces
· 2 black cardamom (Badi elaichi)
· 1 ½ cinnamon stick
· 3 tsp garlic (minced)
· 3 tsp ginger (minced)
· 1 ½ tsp Fenugreek powder (Kasuri methi)
· 1 tsp turmeric powder
· 1 ½ tsp Kashmiri masala
· 2 dried red chillies
· 3 green chillies (without seeds)
· 3 tsp mango powder (Amchur powder)
· 2 tsp fennel powder (Saunf powder)
· 2tbsp coriander (chopped)
· Salt as per taste
· 2 charcoal pieces
· Take a non-stick kadhai and add mustard oil. Heat the oil for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
· Add cumin seeds, black cardamom, cinnamon stick and cook it till your smell the aroma of spices.
· Add chopped onions and cook it for 5-6 minutes till the colour changes to the shade of pink on low flame.
· Add ginger and garlic and cook it for another 3 minutes till it turns into the brown shade.
· Add fenugreek powder, turmeric powder, dried red chillies and salt and mix it all. Add a cup of water and stir it.
· Let the ingredients simmer for 3 minutes on low flame.
· Add the mutton pieces and sauté it in the spices for 8-10 minutes. Make sure that the mutton is fully coated in the masala.
· Add 2-3 cups of water in the dish. Let it come to boil once and cover the kadhai with a heavy lid on a medium flame for 45-50 minutes or till the time the meat becomes tender and juicy.
· Once the meat is cooked proper add mango powder, fennel powder and green chillies and mix the entire dish properly for 3 minutes on low flame.
· Take the charcoal and roast it in a different pan for 5-10 minutes till you can see the smoke coming out.
· Place it in a bowl and place the bowl between the mutton kadhai and cover it with a lid for 10 minutes for authentic taste.
· ‘Kashmiri meat’ aka ‘khatta meat’ is ready to be served.
· Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
Tip: Serve this amazing dish with steam rice or hot ghee rotis
If you love meat with some zing then this recipe is especially for you. A preparation that is sour is what makes this dish so appealing and sinfully tasty. It doesn’t need many species, all one needs is patience and you are surely rewarded with bliss.
Calorie count: 15 crunches and you are done for the day
Sehr-o-Iftar Ramzan times
27th June 2015 (Friday):
New Delhi: Iftari – 7.23 pm and Seher 3.52 am (28th June 2015, Sunday)
Hyderabad: Iftari – 6.54 pm and Seher 4.23 am (28th June 2015, Sunday)