If you like grilled chicken and love the spice, this is definitely a must-try recipe!!
The word Peri Peri comes from the Swahili word Pili Pili which stands for pepper/spicy chilli. So this dish is normally most enjoyable spicy. But of course you can always adjust the amount of chilli to suit your personal taste.
Chicken 1 kg
For the piri-piri sauce:
- 6-12 fresh red chilies,
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tbsp red chili powder
- 100ml olive oil
- 50ml vinegar
- To make the piri-piri sauce, preheat the oven to 180C. Place the chilies on a roasting tray and roast them for 10 minutes.
- Cool and roughly chop the chilies. Place the chilies, garlic, salt, oregano, paprika, olive oil and vinegar in a saucepan, and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool, then place in food processor and blend to a fine paste.
- Place the chicken in a sealable plastic bag. Add half the piri-piri sauce, spreading it evenly over the chicken. Seal and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hour.
- Skewer the marinated chicken and grill till done.