Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday acquitted Bollywood megastar Salman Khan of all charges in the September 28, 2002 hit-and-run case.
Delivering the much-awaited verdict, Justice A.R. Joshi said that the actor “cannot be convicted” on the basis of the evidence produced by the prosecution in the 13-year old case and trial.
Virtually dismissing the prosecution case, Justice Joshi said the “prosecution failed to establish the charges (against Khan) on all counts” and that “it had failed to prove that Salman was drunk or driving” at the time of the accident, which left one pavement dweller dead and four others injured.
Demolishing the police investigations completely, Justice Joshi’s verdict came in Khan’s appeal challenging his conviction and five-year sentence by the Sessions Court on May 6.
Khan, clad in a dark-checked shirt and jeans, heard out the verdict without emotions after he rushed here from a shooting schedule in Karjat, adjacent Raigad district following the court’s directive.
Most family members, including his father Salim Khan, his sisters, brothers, friends and fans were present when the judgement was pronounced.
Earlier on Wednesday, the court had ruled that there was no evidence to prove that Salman was drunk or driving the ill-fated Toyota Land Cruiser on September 28, 2002 when it met with an accident and mowed down one pavement dweller and injured four others.