The Supreme Court on Wednesday declared the Centre’s flagship Aadhaar scheme as Constitutionally valid.
The apex court’s five-judge Constitution bench said Aadhaar means unique and it is better to be unique than being best.
The first of the three judgement was pronounced by Justice A K Sikri.
Justice Sikri pronounced the judgement for himself, Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice A M Khanwilkar.
“Attack on Aadhaar by petitioners is based on violation of rights under Part III of the Constitution, will lead us to become a surveillance State.”
1. Aadhaar mandatory for filing of IT returns and allotment of Permanent Account Number, says SC
2. SC says not mandatory to link Aadhaar to bank accounts
3. Telecom service providers can’t seek linking of Aadhaar, says SC
4. SC says nothing in Aadhaar Act that violates right to privacy of individual
5. SC upholds passing of Aadhaar Bill as Money Bill by Lok Sabha
6. SC says no child can be denied benefits of any schemes on not being able to bring their Aadhaar number
7. SC directs government not to give Aadhaar to illegal immigrants
8. CBSE, NEET, UGC cannot make Aadhaar mandatory, also not compulsory for school admissions: SC
9. Aadhaar authentication data cannot be stored for more than six months: SC
10. SC Constitution Bench strikes down the National security exception under the Aadhaar Act
11. Section 57 of Aadhaar Act permitting private entities to avail Aadhaar data struck down
12. Robust data protection regime has to be brought in place as early as possible, says Justice Sikri in majority verdict
13. There is sufficient defence mechanism for authentication in Aadhaar scheme: Justice Sikri
14. The concept of human dignity has been enlarged in the judgement, says Justice Sikri
15. SC declares Aadhaar scheme as Constitutionally valid
16. There is no possibility of obtaining a duplicate Aadhaar card: Justice Sikri
17. It is better to be unique than being best; Aadhaar means Unique: SC
18. SC says there has been minimal demographic and biometric data collected by UIDAI for Aadhaar enrolments.
19. Aadhaar not Compulsory for admission in Schools.