Six killed in fresh mortar attack in Syria
Damascus: At least six people were killed and 10 others wounded by a fresh mortar attack against government-controlled districts of the country’s northern province of Aleppo, a monitoring group reported.
The rebels fired many mortar shells Saturday that slammed into two districts in the government-controlled part of Aleppo city, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The UK-based watchdog group said Syrian helicopters also dropped crude barrel bombs on rebel-held areas in the eastern part of Aleppo, leaving injuries.
The Syrian army has unleashed a wide-scale offensive since last week in the northern countryside of Aleppo, managing to capture a number of key towns, some of which were later recaptured by the rebels after receiving reinforcements.
Still, the Syrian troops succeeded to cut the Kastelo road, which is the main supply route for the rebels in the city of Aleppo.
It meant that the rebels in the eastern parts of Aleppo city have become deprived from that key supply line that connected them with rebel-held areas in the northern countryside of Aleppo, bordering Turkey.