Sunday Recipe: Tawa Paneer Masala
This paneer recipe is one of the easiest and quick recipes to prepare. It is a semi dry curry which can be cooked in less than 30 mins. And it is so easy that you can make these when you have unexpected guests at home or you want to cook something easy for dinner after a day’s hard work.
- 200 to 250 gms paneer
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 medium capsicum
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 to 5 medium garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 green chili chopped
- ½ tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp pav bhaji masala or ½ tsp garam masala + ¼ tsp dry mango powder/amchur powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp crushed kasuri methi
- Salt as required
- Few chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Finely chop the onions and capsicum/green bell pepper.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, green chili, ginger and garlic.
- Crush the ginger and garlic in a mortar-pestle to a paste.
- Add the chopped tomatoes in a blender and make a smooth puree. keep aside.
- Chop the paneer in ½ inch cubes.
- Melt butter on a tawa or skillet.
- Add the carom seeds/ajwain and fry them for a few seconds or till aromatic.
- Add the onions and saute till translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, green chilies, finely chopped capsicum/green bell pepper and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Then add the red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and pav bhaji masala. if you don’t have pav bhaji masala, add garam masala + amchur powder/dry mango powder.
- Stir and saute for about a minute.
- Then add the tomato puree and salt.
- Stir well and saute till you see butter releasing from the sides and the masala has thickened a bit. this takes about 8 to 10 minutes on a low flame.
- If the tomato masala looks dry, then add 1 or 2 tbsp of water and continue to saute.
- Add the paneer cubes and stir well, so that the masala coats the paneer cubes evenly.
- Cook the paneer for 1 to 2 minutes. then add the crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves. stir very well and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve tawa paneer masala with chapatis, phulkas, naan or bread.
- Accompany with a few wedges of lemon slices which can be drizzled on the tawa paneer and a side onion salad.