New Delhi: The Supreme Court here has received an email threatening to blow it up in retaliation for the execution of 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon, forcing the authorities to step up security arrangements.
“The threat mail was received at the court’s official email on Monday afternoon. The mail was written in English threatening to blow up court building after the recent judgement on Yakub Memon’s hanging,” police sources said on Tuesday.
The sources said the email was delivered to the court’s official firstname.lastname@example.org email id.
“The security at the court complex has been beefed up. The case has been forwarded to the Special Cell and Cyber Cell who along with the district police are trying to trace the source of the mail,” the sources added.
Earlier on August 5, the Supreme Court’s Justice Dipak Misra, who was on the bench that had upheld Memon’s execution, had received a threat letter. The security for all three judges on the bench that had pronounced the order has been stepped up.
Memon was convicted in 2007 for his role in the Mumbai blasts in which 257 people were killed. He was hanged on July 30 after a night of unprecedented legal action.