Valley shuts against issuing certificates to WPRs


Srinagar:  A complete shutdown was observed on Friday across the Valley following the call given by the separatist leadership against the government move of issuing domicile certificates to West Pakistan Refugees (WPR).
The call was given by Hurriyat (G) chairman, Syed Ali Geelani, Hurriyat (M) chairman, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and JKLF chairman, Muhammad Yasin Malik against the government move. They had also called for protests after Friday prayers.
All the shops, petrol pumps, business establishments and other establishments remained closed throughout the day while the traffic was thin on roads.
As soon as the Friday prayers ended in the local Masjids, people at various places came on roads and staged demonstration.
The protesters were demanding immediate stop to issuing domicile certificates to WPRs.
Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) leaders assembled at Abi-Guzar and staged protest. The protesters were chanting anti-government slogans. Similar reports of protests were reported from several other areas.
However, JKLF chairman, Muhammad Yasin Malik who had reached Pulwama in this morning to stage protest after Fridayprayers there was detained by the forces outside Jamia Masjid while Hurriyat (M) chairman and Jamia Masjid’s head preacher, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq who was scheduled to deliver Friday sermons at historic Jamia Masjid was disallowed to offer Fridayprayers at Jamia Masjid today, reports said.
Clashes also erupted between youth and forces in Tral area of South Kashmir’s Pulwama district during which forces used tear smoke shells to disperse the youth.
In north Kashmir’s Sopore area, reports of clashes were also reported between youth and forces.
Reports said that the forces used tear gas shells to disperse the youth who were throwing stones on them.
In central Kashmir’s Nowhatta and Batamaloo areas of Srinagar, reports of clashes were reported between the protesters and government forces during which forces used tear smoke shells to disperse the youth.
Meanwhile, eights persons were injured after government forces fired teargas shells and live ammunition on protesters in Samboora village in Pulwama district early morning today.
The locals told KNS that the government forces early Friday morning cordoned off Samboora village and began searching for militants who were believed to be in the locality. When this report was being compiled the clashes in the area were going on leaving several others injured.
But locals in the area gathered near the cordoned off area in the village and started pelting stones on forces and raised slogans against the government forces and in support of militants and freedom.
“Army, police’s SOG cordoned off a part of the village near Government Higher Secondary School and started search operation. In the meantime clashes erupted after vandalism of Shaheed Park hoarding by forces. The forces fired teargas shells and live bullets on the protesting people,” said a witness.
“Two youth, Rouf Rather and John Muhammad, both from Samboora were hit by bullets in legs and have been shifted to Srinagar hospital,” the witness said.
“The forces have left the village, and situation is fragile as of now,” the witness said.
DGP (Law and Order), DR SP Vaid told KNS that the overall situation across the Valley remained under control.
“During the cordon at Samboora, stone pelting incident occur during which three persons sustained injuries. One among them sustained bullet injury. All the three injured persons are stable and are out of danger,” Vaid said.


You might also like