Unlike a dosa, which is crisp and crepe-like, uttappam is a thick pancake, with toppings cooked right into the batter. It is a simple kids friendly recipe. Not just kids even adults also love this very much.
- 1 1/2 cups parboiled rice
- 1/2 cup urad dal
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- ghee or oil for shallow frying
- 8-10 tsp dosai milaga podi
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Wash rice and soak in water for 6 hours. Combine dal with fenugreek seeds, wash and soak in water for 6 hours.
- Drain rice and grind to make a smooth batter, gradually adding 1 – 1 1/4 cups water.
- Drain dal and grind till light and fluffy, gradually adding 1/2-3/4 cup water.
- Combine both batters, mix in salt and set aside to ferment and get a little sour for 10-12 hours.
- Add a little water if necessary to make a batter of thick pouring consistency.
- Pour a large ladle of batter into centre of tawa to make 1/4 inch thick oothappam. Do not spread the batter thin like a dosai. Drizzle 1 tsp ghee or oil around edges. Sprinkle 1 tsp dosa milaga podi evenly over oothappam. Cover with 2 tbsp of coriander leaves.
- Raise heat and cook for 1-2 minutes till base is golden brown. Turn over carefully and fry the other side till crisp and golden.
- Serve hot with sambar or coconut chutney.