A glorious man with a remarkable career in politics, with a profound sense of poetic expression and one of the most revered contemporary poets of India- Atal Bihari Vajpayee- has been conferred with India’s highest civilian honor, the Bharat Ratna, by the President Pranab Mukherjee. Here are 10 things you must know about him.
1. Atal Bihari Vajpayee was the 10th Prime Minister of India. Also, the first Prime Minister from outside the Indian National congress party to serve a full five term year. His birthday has been declared as Good Governance Day by the NDA government.
2. He is the only Parliamentarian to have been elected from four different states at different times– Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Delhi. Also, he was elected nine times to Lok Sabha and twice to Rajya Sabha.
3. In 1957, Mr. Vajpayee was elected for the first time Lok Sabha Member and his oratory skills impressed everybody including the then Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru who even said that one day this man will become Prime Minister of India.
5. He was equally respected across all Political parties and Mr. Manmohan Singh, ex- Prime Minister of India called him “Bhishma Pitamah” of Indian politics during his speech in Rajya Sabha.
6. Jagjit Singh- one of the most renowned gazal singers of the country, released two albums in 1999 and 2002 featuring two of his poems- Nayi Disha and Samvedna.
7. By virtue of his organisational skills and excellence in oration, he became the face of the Jana Sangh and along with Nanaji Deshmukh, Balraj Madhok and L K Advani, Vajpayee led the Jana Sangh to national prominence.
8. His particpation in Quit India Movement, in the shadow of Gandhi’s influence, marked his welcome in the political scenario of India. He, along with his elder brother, was imprisoned for a span of 23 days, he was mere 18 years old.
9. The exceptionally brilliant orator dedicates his career in politics to Amar Kirti Vijay Pataka by Mahatma Ramchandra Veer. In his words, it is this great work that literally changed his life.
10. During his early hours- he has served two monthlies as an Editor- Rashtradharma and Panchjanya. He has also been the editor of two new dailies- Swadesh and Veer arjun.